G.E.T.H.2020 Celebratory Tablet

 This piece was for a local couple who had recently built a beautiful house and they wanted the husbands initials and the year of completion stated to celebrate the final touches to their new home. They managed to salvage some purbeck stone that they had recovered from the existing house that they knocked down. This was a wonderful idea as it really gives thanks to the existing property that served them so very well for years. The client asked for a medieval lettering but after showing her some examples she decided that versal was what she had in her mind. I did a number of designs but settled on the composition in the pictures below. The initials along the middle, using the extra space by tuning the stone 45° and the date split from the top to the bottom. I felt this was nicely balanced and it kept the space clean. By splitting the date into two it filled the space whilst in a sense giving the viewer something unformal to view.






The stone was lovely to carve although very uneven and pitted. It was quite a lot harder from what I am used to carving as portland stone has been what is available to me in abundance.


My job had finished after carving as the client didn't need me to install it onto her house. I do hope it is installed flush with the stonework and not just stuck onto the wall. She seemed very happy with the final result and I hope to see her again soon.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hill Farm House Sign

Alford Lodge House Sign